- Vanessa Bryant was the “Queen Mamba” to Kobe’s “Black Mamba,” and they were married for nearly 20 years.
- When Kobe and the couple’s 13-year-old daughter, Gianna, were killed in a helicopter crash on Sunday, fans, athletes, and journalists shared their memories of Kobe as a devoted husband and father.
- He and Vanessa met when she was in high school and he was a young NBA star.
- The couple weathered infidelity and almost got divorced but ultimately stayed together until the end.
- In a statement Wednesday, Vanessa said she was “devastated” by the loss of her husband and daughter, and that “there aren’t enough words to describe our pain right now.”
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
In the days after the crash, fans and athletes remembered not only Kobe’s incredible legacy as a basketball player but also his reputation as a loving family man who was devoted to his wife, Vanessa, and their four daughters.
In a statement posted to Instagram on the third day since the crash, Vanessa wrote a pained tribute to Kobe and Gianna, describing them as “beautiful blessings taken from us too soon.”
Vanessa and Kobe Bryant were married for 19 years before the basketball star’s sudden death.
The couple met when Vanessa was a senior in high school. Her classmates were stunned when she caught the eye of then-20-year-old Los Angeles Lakers star Kobe Bryant.
Though many know the Black Mamba as one of the greatest players of all time, not as many know the woman who was by his side since the first years of his career.
This is how the Bryants weathered drama on and off the court while growing their family and cementing themselves as one of the most well-known couples in basketball.